I wanted to dive into how we can light the way through Liminality!
In the ever-changing landscape of life, we often find ourselves at the threshold of transition. We know we need to leave the old behind, that which no longer serves us, yet we don’t yet know the direction to go in.
This is known as the liminal space. Where we must let go of the old and move to the new.
Our modern minds seem to struggle with change and uncertainty. We seem to expect constant happiness and smooth sailing, but life simply doesn’t work that way.
Change is a natural part of life. One important stage of all change is this liminal stage, where we must let go of what no longer serves us without yet knowing what lies ahead. We are simply not taught to manage this liminal period well and, as a result, we struggle with it.
Some of the common mistakes made and some things you can do instead:
- Rushing forward without giving yourself time to pause, reflect and really decide what you want next. You know what you don’t want, give yourself time to really reflect on what you do want instead.
- Trying to go back to what was. It’s like putting toothpaste back into the tube. It just won’t work. You have grown and no longer fit into your old life.
- Avoiding uncomfortable emotions. It’s common to feel uncertainty, anxiety, confusion, grief, and sadness in liminality. Contrary to popular belief, this does not mean anything has gone wrong. It means you need to feel those feelings and then decide what you want next.
Some ways to make the transition through liminality easier:
- Acknowledge and accept that you are in a state of transition. Self-acceptance and self-compassion are crucial in navigating through this period of uncertainty and discomfort.
- Practice mindfulness and presence, allowing yourself to pause, rest, and be open to whatever needs to emerge. Allow yourself to feel all the emotions that come with this liminal stage. Whether it is grief, anxiety, or despondency, it is important to acknowledge these feelings.
- Journal on your past, present and your future. Just let the words flow.
- Experiment with creative expression. Art, dance, singing or anything that just gets your creative juices flowing. This helps you start to create your future.
- Seek out a coach or mentor to guide you through this transition. Consider experiencing Conscious Emotional Transformation, which will help you let go of painful emotions and blocks, as well as installing new pathways to allow for and make the growth easy.
Create your own ceremony. Traditional cultures all have ceremonies to mark transitions. Birth is celebrated with a naming ceremony, marriage, and death. But we forget about the other important changes. Honouring these changes with a simple, self-created ceremony can be a perfect way to guide yourself through the ceremony.
Your ceremony can be done alone or with others, and it can take many different forms. It could involve writing, meditation, or simply gathering with loved ones to share and reflect on the changes you are facing.
Creating a ritual to mark the liminal phase can help you embrace uncertainty and move forward with greater clarity and purpose.
The liminal phase is a natural part of the growth and transformational journey. It is important not to rush through it but to fully embrace it and allow yourself to grow through the experience. This is where the gold and jewels of life can be hidden if you only give yourself space and time to experience it fully. For this is life itself.
Here is a mantra that can help you transition to the liminal phase:
Are you in liminality? If so, please share what you’re leaving behind, and what you desire to move into. Leave a comment to let us know your story.